Saturday, November 3, 2012

Aftermath of Sandy

Obviously everyone is sick of hearing about hurricane Sandy because that has been the main focus this past week. The sad thing is there are so many areas still struggling because of what the hurricane left.  Up here in state college the worst we received were some bad winds and some typical rain. We were all looking for a day off of school instead of thinking about the horrible repercussions from the storm, and I admit i'm guilty of it as well. Once the storm passed I assumed it was over and we could move on with our lives, but then I started getting pictures from all of my friends and family back in New Jersey. Everything there seemed like it was ruined. being in high school we all love to take day trips to Seaside Heights because its close and there is so much to do on the boardwalk! We even have our prom weekend there every year because its inexpensive and extremely entertaining. The beach is completely gone and the boardwalk is now destroyed. In my hometown there is flooding, damage from trees, no power since the start of the storm (still), and there is no where to get gas. Some of my friends were forced to drive all the way to Pennsylvania to fill up containers of gas. If you are lucky enough to find gas close to home, the line is close to 4 hours long. The reason I am writing about this is because we often forget how terrible things are unless we are experiencing it ourselves, and that goes for everything in life, not strictly Sandy. Some of my close friends traveled two hours to a Walmart so they could use their power and wifi to do their homework! Everyday people are struggling, but it is hard to focus on that when we were barely affected up here in State College. I hope the power gets back up soon and everyone stays safe back in Sparta, New Jersey as well as all of the other places on the coast affected by this tragedy!
This is a picture of the Boardwalk in Seaside Heights in South Jersey. It is completely destroyed.

Here is a house in my town, Sparta, where a tree fell directly through it. Unfortunately, this wasn't a rare case over in my hometown.

This is another picture of the rides in the water!

Gas lines in New Jersey. My dad said he waited on line for 4 hours to fill up gas. Other cars that were waiting ran out of gas while in the line to get gas!

4 comments:

  1. I really hope all of your family and friends are safe, even if their homes are damaged. Luckily, my hometown wasn't affected by Sandy. However, I know many people that are making weekend trips to New Jersey to deliver gas. I also know it could have been worse because my church still takes annual trips to help Katrina victims. Stay safe and I hope everything gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I have heard some stories but none too close to home and I haven't made myself look at pictures yet.

    The picture of the ride in the water is incredible... so much history and memories and even the work to construct the boardwalk is gone.

    I hope you, your friends, and your family get through this disaster, and that you have some place safe to go to for break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurricane Sandy was crazy. My Grandmother said it's the worst she's seen since the 1950s, when Hurricane Hazel(I think that was the name) came around. I'm so thankful that my family in the Philly area wasn't effected too much, other than power outages. I hope everyone in your area is alright, even if there were some damages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really sorry about what happened to your town and i went back home to NY after the Sandy hit and we didn't have power for a week. It is a lot harder to live with ought power for a week than one would think.

    ReplyDelete